Monday, October 18, 2010

The Vacation Top 10


Maui, oh Maui! Here are my Top 10 (or so) Maui Memories... These faces say aloha and mahalo to our island paradise!



1. Davis The Dolphin

Davis swam and swam and swam and swam till his toes were wrinkled and his belly was full of swallowed water. He enrolled in Snappy's Swim School. He plopped in the water with Pop. He floated all week with his fishy family and we loved it.







He even swam with Dylann, who had her first ever pool dip!




2. Kapalua Beach


This beach, just around the bend from our hotel, was a hidden gem! Tim and I got alone time here snorkeling twice without the kids (hello heaven! Thanks Mom and Dad!)and I got Davis to conquer his fear of the beach (Yes, we quite often heard "scared the beach" after a recent incident when he got wiped out by a wave at home...). Davis and I built sand forts and swam together looking for turtle food (turtles eat coral cookies, don't you know?). I could have stayed in this moment till a tsunami took me out.

3. Tim + Dylann


Our little coconut Dylann turned into quite the Daddy's girl, constantly hanging from her palm tree Dad. These two were perfectly content together.




4. Mai Tai Mania

We drank alot of them and they were GOOD.


5. The Hula Show


Snappy treated Davis and I to a hula show where all the performers were children. Davis thought this was fantastic - He even dragged me on stage during audience participation. The boy performers danced like wild warriors, which was an obvious hit, but Snappy and I loved it when Davis pointed to the youngest (and might I add, cutest) girl dancer and casually commented "I like tiny one" - Hula on!


P.S. Snappy also treated us to a ride on the Sugar Cane Train. How could we resist the only train on the island? I love that my mom encourages us to do these things - She never wants us to miss a thing and that is so cool.


6. Pop is Downright Funny


My Dad has always been funny to me, but he gets even funnier when you spend an extended period of time with him (and when there are mai tai's in reach). After 7 days of laughing with Pop, I know Davis and I could have heard his witty banter for 7 more. It's no wonder Tim and Davis sat with Pop on both plane flights. What a sport!


7. Cozy Coconuts


Our room was spacious - with 2 sleeping areas, 2 bathrooms, a patio and a kitchen - but for some reason during downtime, we all squished together in one bed. Dylann started thinking Davis is better than a bottle and always gives him a grin. Davis says the sweetest things to Dylann - He says "a kiss" and slobbers on her head. He'll point and giggle saying "Baby Dylann! She so cute!" - Of everyone, he can make her laugh the hardest and the loudest.


8. Extra Hands

WOW. Travelling with kids is alot of work. I know we would have lost the battle without these additional appendages! Pop and Snappy are not only helpful, they are FUN and EASY. They are not just parents or grandparents, they are best friends and first-choice travel companions who make life for all of us more fun!







9. Shaved Ice

Sitting in the cabana with a coconut/pineapple/strawberry shaved ice overlooking Napili Bay. NO PLACE/NO TREAT BETTER.


10. Acessories

We all found a new accessory to wear during the trip. Dylann, Mom and I preferred flowers or leis...




Tim and Dad liked blended beverages and golf putters, and Davis? He would not give these sunglasses a rest.


11. Views

The Indiana Jones trail to the beach...


The view from our room...


Sunsets...


Sunset with full hands...


Tim says you don't vacation when you have kids, you travel. I agree that these trips are not the most restful and relaxing - I did not read one book page. I did not lay out tanning for hours - But they surely are memorable and filled with fun. I love this little family, no matter where the location, and I guarantee we will be back at Napili Kai next year. Tim is already looking at the calendar ;) Aloha Maui! See you very soon...


4 comments:

  1. oh, colleen! some fabulous pics to keep for a lifetime here! so happy for you all that you got to get away and make such happy memories! xo ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FANTASTIC trip to Maui!!! I love all of the photos and your "Top"s!!! We missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch! did it again! damn computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Top 10 - what an amazing trip! Your pictures are so great - I am thinking the Jones family needs to make a trip out there soon. Thank you for sharing! They really are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete